How can I receive information about restoring my driving privilege?

If you are unaware of what is required to have your license restored,you should obtain a restoration requirements letter, which outlines the specific steps you must complete to have your driving privilege restored. We can provide you with this and go over the steps on getting your license back.

  How do I get a duplicate Driver’s License if my license was lost or stolen?

To obtain a duplicate driver's license, you must complete a Non-Commercial Driver's Application to Change/Correct/Replace (Form DL-80). You can come into our office and we can help with to process of obtaining a duplicate license.

  Does your vehicle record have an F stop, due to a lapse of insurance for more than 30 days? You do have options …

You need to provide acceptable proof of insurance within 30 days of the cancellation date. If you had a lapse of insurance for 30 days or less and the vehicle was not driven during the 30 days or less lapse, you must also provide an MV-221“Statement of Non-operation of Vehicle”. If unable to provide the insurance and statement, you must return your registration plate, sticker and card to serve a 3-month suspension. OR In lieu of serving a registration suspension, you have the option to make a payment of a civil penalty. The optional civil penalty fee is $500.00. Additionally, you are required to pay a restoration fee in the amount of $88.00. You may opt for the civil penalty in lieu of suspension no more than once in a 12-month period. Payment of the civil penalty, along with your restoration fee and proof of current insurance, will allow you to maintain registration on your vehicle without the requirement to serve a three month registration suspension. To use this option, visit PennDOT's website at and click the link "Pay Civil Penalty," and complete required steps or you may mail your certified check or money order payable to the PA Department of Transportation in the amount of $588.00 (which includes your restoration fee) along with current proof of insurance and completed Form MV-222, "Application for Payment of Civil Penalty in Lieu of Registration Suspension.”….. Call our office for more information.

  What is acceptable identification to title and/or register a motor vehicle in Pennsylvania?

1. A valid Pennsylvania Photo Driver’s License; 2. A valid Pennsylvania Photo Identification Card; 3. A valid Pennsylvania Photo Exempt Driver's License; 4. A valid Pennsylvania Photo Exempt Identification Card; or 5. A valid U.S. Armed Forces Common Access Card − Dependents of Armed Forces personnel must provide a valid United States Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card (DD Form 1173)

  Is collateral insurance the same as liability insurance?

No and it is not an acceptable form of insurance.

  If I was involved in an accident or cited for a traffic violation and didn't have insurance at the time, what will happen?

If you received a Section 6308 citation and were involved in an accident and your record indicates you are in "Requested Status," a current proof of insurance is required. If your record indicates you are in "Pending or Active Status," you will need to provide proof of insurance prior to the suspension effective date and current proof of insurance, which cannot be expired. If you received a Section 1786 citation and were involved in an accident, a letter on letterhead from your insurance company, specifying you had insurance on the date of the citation, is required. If it is determined that you were without insurance, your vehicle registration and driver's license will be suspended for three months each. To surrender the registration plate, sticker and card, mail them to: Bureau of Motor Vehicles Return Tag Unit P.O. Box 68597 Harrisburg, PA 17106-8597

  What happens if I didn't pick up vehicle insurance within 30 days?

A lapse in insurance coverage results in the suspension of your vehicle registration privilege for three months. The registration plate and card must be surrendered to PennDOT in order to serve the suspension. Restoration fees of $50/$88 and proof of insurance must be submitted prior to having your registration privilege returned. To surrender the registration plate, sticker and card, mail them to: Bureau of Motor Vehicles Return Tag Unit P.O. Box 68597 Harrisburg, PA 17106-8597

  I changed Insurance companies, will my new insurance company notify PennDOT?

No, Insurance companies are NOT required by law to notify PennDOT when a vehicle owner acquires a new policy. It is the vehicle owner’s responsibility.

  Will I be required to send PennDOT proof of insurance each time I change insurance companies?

Only if PennDOT sends you a letter requesting proof of insurance.

  What if my lien holder maintained insurance on my vehicle, during my insurance lapse?

Insurance maintained by the lien holder is not liability insurance: it only protects the lender. Collateral protection insurance is not an acceptable form of insurance.

  What if I was never notified by the insurance company of the policy cancellation?

You still need to be compliant to the law and to have maintained insurance for the vehicle. If you were not compliant and a suspension is likely, you may contact the Insurance Department at 1-877-881-6388 to file a complaint.

  What information must be in the letter produced by an insurance company to have the suspension removed?

The letter must be on company letterhead and contain the policy number, effective date and expiration date, VIN and the insurance company's NAIC number and must be signed and dated by an official representative of the insurance company's headquarter.

  Does the Bureau accept out-of-state insurance or must the information come from a PA insurance company?

If they are a company that is licensed to write in PA, we will accept it. IF they are not licensed in PA, they have to meet our limits to write automobile insurance in PA.

  My plate was suspended because of a lapse in coverage over 30 days. I want to transfer this plate to a new vehicle I purchased. Can I do this?

Since the suspension follows the vehicle and not the plate; you may transfer the plate to a new vehicle. However, the credit towards serving the suspension on your old vehicle will not begin until the date the plate was transferred. If the plate was transferred within 30 days of the insurance cancellation, the record suspension will be removed.

  I own a motorcycle and cancel the insurance each year because I only use it during the summer. Isn't there anything I can do to prevent my registration from getting suspended?

You must surrender the plate upon cancellation of insurance or register the vehicle as a Seasonal Registration. To surrender the registration plate, sticker and card, mail them to: Bureau of Motor Vehicles Return Tag Unit P.O. Box 68597 Harrisburg, PA 17106-8597

  I am in the military overseas and was not aware of my insurance policy canceling. What do I need to do to have the suspension removed?

Military hardship cases are the only situations the Bureau will give additional review. NOTE: This requires the review of a supervisor in the Financial Responsibility Unit.

  Is there a minimum or maximum age requirement for registering a motor vehicle?

Pennsylvania law does not dictate a minimum or maximum age for owning/registering a vehicle. However, you should check with your insurance company to see if they have any restrictions regarding an owner’s age.

  Can I renew my vehicle registration if I do not currently have insurance on my vehicle?

No. Only trailers are exempt from maintaining insurance.

  How do I renew my Vehicle Registration?

By contacting us!

  Where do I get my motor vehicle forms?

By contacting us!

  Why should we establish a fleet account?

Instead of receiving individual registration renewal applications for each vehicle that must be completed and signed, one invoice is produced listing all the vehicles expiring in a given month. The invoice then just needs a signature and insurance information and submitted to the Department with the required fees.

  What if we don’t want to renew one of the vehicles on the list?

Simply draw a line through that line item you wish to remove (preferably red ink so it stands out). The vehicle will be removed from the renewal and a new invoice will be created for the remaining vehicles.

  How many vehicles are required to establish a fleet account?

A fleet account consists of 15 or more vehicles unless you are registering taxis, limousines or buses.

Couldn't find your answer?

Send us your question and we will get back to you promptly. For more information please go to the PennDOT website and view their FAQs. Click here to go to Motor Vehicle information and Click here for Drivers license information.

Main Office:

Address: 702 MacDade Blvd, Collingdale, PA 19023, Phone: (484) 497-5909, Fax: (610) 537-7368,